Bookmark and Share

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Frozen Peas!!!!



Penne with Asparagus, Sage, and Peas
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/penne-with-asparagus-sage-and-peas


I was wondering through the grocery store talking to my mom on the phone (I know, sorry, I was that person.) getting her recipe for roasted cherry tomato, arugula, and mozzarella pasta and standing in wine aisle, when I saw it - March's Food & Wine. I knew it was sitting on the floor next to my bed at home, but I hadn't had a chance to look at it yet. But when I saw the cover, I suddenly had to have it for dinner - bright green asparagus, penne, and - could it be?! - PEAS! I took a closer look at the cover, "pair with Sauvignon Blanc, " it recommended, so I picked out a Sauvignon Blanc, a 2007 Simi Sonoma County, and set about putting back the armful of groceries already in my arms.

I must have looked a little nuts as I circled around the grocery store, clucking into my phone, and circling around the produce department. (They rearranged it! I couldn't find anything.) Eventually, I made it out of the grocery store and back home.

Before starting dinner, I opened the wine, and took a look at the recipe. It should come as no surprise that I did forget two of the ingredients, sage and cream. Maybe I was distracted by the perfect little peas. I decided I didn't want to go to the store again, and got to cooking.

After putting a pot of water, sea salt, and pasta on to boil, I chopped four cloves of garlic (the recipe calls for three) and cut the asparagus. For some reason, I cut the asparagus length-wise instead of "in one inch lengths," I noticed it didn't look like it did on the cover, so I grabbed some kitchen scissors and cut them right in the pan. After a couple minutes, I added two cubes of chicken bouillon and two cups of water. After letting it boil down for about five minutes, I added two cups of peas (plus a little extra :-) ). Since I forgot the cream, I added about a tablespoon of skim milk. I was hesitant to add it, because I was not sure if it would ruin the dish, but decided to wait until the whole thing was finished to try it. Finally I added the pasta to the sauce, mixed in a tablespoon of butter (the recipe calls for two, but that was all I had in the fridge) and the Parmesan cheese.

It was a delicious, light dinner. The tiny bit of milk added the perfect bit of sweetness and the food actually made the wine taste a lot better.

***Note on the picture: The picture is from the foodandwine.com. Mine was not that pretty.

No comments: