Bookmark and Share

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Caught Red Handed!

Roasted Beet Salad with Caramelized Shallot Vinaigrette

- 3 Medium sized beets, skin on, greens detached
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce
- 1 Cup walnuts
- Feta cheese
- 1 Large shallot
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vineger
- Salt & pepper

Whoever invented that saying clearly had been calling out someone roasting beets. That juice gets everywhere! I like roasting beets because its a pretty simple process: pre-heat oven, wrap beets in foil, stab with fork, take out eventually (about an hour, depending on the size of the beets).
About an hour after I put the beets in the oven, I chopped the romaine and feta, and roasted the walnuts. I was feeling fancy today, so I chopped the shallots and caramelized them, then added some balsamic vinegar for a warm shallot vinaigrette.
Keeping an eye on the shallots, I take the beets out of the oven and put them on the counter. I unwrap the first one and start to peel. It takes all of two seconds for my hands to be covered in bright pink beet juice. I am prepared for this. As far as I know, unless you are wearing gloves, there is no way to avoid it. I am okay with this. It comes off easily, and I like the way my Ms. Myers Clean Day soap smells.
What I am not prepared for is for the remaining two beets to gush beet juice all over the counter, pool up under the cutting board, and drip all over the floor. Why was this happening? Was it because I detached the greens? Or where they just exceptionally juicy? I have no answer. Whatever the case, it looked like a vegetable horror film. But, calm your fears, everything was cleaned up, good as new. Except my feet, which remain splattered with red. I hope that comes off in the morning.

No comments: